Monday 9 February 2015

Week 19: Container City Post-Mortem
04:44

Week 19: Container City Post-Mortem

To say this project was fun would be an understatement. I'd say this is the project I've enjoyed the most so far and we produced an awesome body of work. I was working with a really great team and we all seemed to get along fine for the most part.

Although we had issues with team members at certain points throughout the project, we all worked pretty well together and managed to get almost everything done that we'd set out to. However, this wasn't the only issue. I don't ever want to see BSP again. Nope. No thank you. It caused so many issues in the first week which meant that we had to rebuild the whole level to get anything to function.

Deferred decals are also a huge no. Due to the fact our level was tilted, they just wouldn't work at all. I think it took amber and I around 2-3 hours to get 5 placed. Ridiculous. Another mistake we've learnt from though - tilt everything last.


If I was going to do anything differently, it would be to be more adventurous with things. Maybe a little too broad there, but looking back, I feel that I could've done so much more. I'm happy with the assets, blueprints and particles that I produced, I just wish there was more of it. A lot of this project was about learning new things for me. For example, I've never used cascade before, so a good bit of time was spent watching tutorials and knowing how to create the desired effects we wanted.


I'm actually so pleased with the work we accomplished over the last four weeks. Yeah, there's still things wrong with it, but we've learnt from out mistakes - which is the main thing, right? For example, after receiving feedback from lecturers, we know now what parts need changing. We were told that the journey gets a little confusing once you've fallen down the hatch due to the purple fog. It was way too dense and no amount of bioluminescent mushrooms could solve this. We were also told that we really needed to nail the lighting, we were close to getting it right, but the whole point of this project was to create something with really atmospheric lighting and sadly, we didn't quite reach this target.

The bridge
Back area of bridge 
Airlock
Although, us being us, we had to have a few puns in there. My personal favourite was 'Nathan Crate'. Yes, we went there.


0 comments:

Post a Comment