Friday 15 November 2013

A Brief History of Computing: Part Three - From Here to Eternity?
15:39

A Brief History of Computing: Part Three - From Here to Eternity?

So I thought for my final post on the 'history of computers/gaming' task, I'd make this one more personal. I haven't planned this one at all so I'm probably going to go off on one giant tangent about some of the games I'd played during the 2000s.

Let's stop the clocks and wind back a few years...I'm approximately 5 years old and I'm sat in front of my TV playing Spyro: Year of the Dragon - those were the days. I'd probably say this is one of my earliest childhood memories, and certainly one of the first games I'd ever played. If you haven't played or at least heard of the Insomniac trilogy then I'm deeply ashamed and feel sorry that you haven't experienced the awesome-ness of it. Tsk.


After a couple of cutscenes and meeting the already familiar characters, you're transported straight into Sunrise Spring, the first level of the game. I can always remember this particular place as being extremely colourful and having awesome music, boyyyyyyyyy my memory is good. You can see just how vivid the colours are in the screen cap above - I bet that orange tree in the background is making you want to play it...
So moving on from trees, I'd say this was the one game that really made an impact on my childhood and has led me to what I'm choosing to do with my future. Welp. Can I just be a child again? Please? I wish this whole post could be about this game, but alas, work needs to be done.

Next in the timeline would probably be Croc: Legend of the Gobbos. Weirdly this came out a couple of years before Spyro 3 but I have absolutely no recollection of playing it until I was about 7 or 8. Now I can remember this game being seriously hard and very, very odd. One of the best things about this game was the fact there was a character called the 'Willy-Stick Man' - so of course the 8 year old me found this highly hilarious (the 18 year old one still does.) You also had the Gobbos which looked like adorable super fluffy pom-poms.


JUST LOOK AT HOW ADORABLE THEY ARE

Sadly I can't find a photo of the 'Willy-Stick Man'. Possibly because I'm too scared to Google it...


After a couple of years of more game-playing, I discovered the Sims. Little did I know that my life was about to be taken over yet again. Up until this moment, I'd always been playing on consoles, so using a keyboard and a mouse to control a character felt alien in comparison to the beloved PS1 controller I was so used to. Always makes me laugh when I think of the first time I played it. I didn't want to open up a household and move furniture around because I thought it belonged to someone else...oh dear. Around this time, I was also playing on handheld consoles too. I had a light for my GameBoy Colour in the shape of a snake, I thought I was absolutely awesome because none of my friends had one. I'm pretty sure I still have it somewhere. 


Everything after the discovery of the Sims seems to be a bit of a blur...Rayman and Tetris were in there somewhere...and then we get to the more recent years. This was where I'd started getting into console gaming again and because addicted to Uncharted. Now I know I said earlier that Spyro 3 was one to play...Uncharted is a MUST play. It's one of those games where you can spend hours playing it, but lose total track of time in the process. It has an impeccable storyline, which I may have cried at a few times, and the script is hilarious. It's worth playing just for the banter between Nate and Sully.

Anyway, I'll stop rambling for now. Go and play Uncharted.

0 comments:

Post a Comment