Saturday 15 November 2014

Week 7: Posters & Even More Poker Chips!
10:30

Week 7: Posters & Even More Poker Chips!

So I'm currently in the final week of the sentry gun project, and I'm not too worried. Which is worrying. The majority of Monday and Tuesday were spent texturing and making sure everything works properly and looks pretty in engine. Due to wanting the pitch to be fairly smooth, I put the majority of the detail - such as scratches - on the roughness map which achieved the desired effect so there was no need to create a normal map. Remember the last time I was using alphas in UE4? Yep. I've had the same issue and the parts I wanted semi-transparent have just completely vanished. This hasn't bothered me too much as I was planning on creating a glass material in UE4 anyway but it seems to be a recurring issue so I'd quite like to find out what the cause is. It's probably me being a total idiot, as per. I HAVE PINK GLASS BUBBLES NOW. Soooooo much cooler than an alpha.

Ooooooo pink bubbles
The rest of the week was spent fiddling about with UE4 and trying out different methods of animating the emissive maps! After asking around my group, I had some help from Mark and he showed me a really simple way of animating that was easy to control.



Just as I was about to take some pretty renders. I noticed this. Argh. See, I said I was an idiot! Back to Max we go.

Smoothing groups blergh.
On Tuesday we all got set the surprise task of making a poster to advertise our guns. Again, I fell into the Pinterest pit and probably sat staring at retro and American Propaganda posters for a good 3 hours. If I'm doing it for university work it's not procrastination, right? After making another huge and colourful moodboard, I started the concepts. I'm not going to bore you with the whole process again, so I'll just post the pre-finals.


So as well as reaching the stretch goal I'd set myself, I also did a little bit of extra work in the labs on Saturday. I decided to add a sound to my gun to make it 'fit' the style more! This was also much simpler than what I thought it was going to be, even though blueprints were involved. Ehhhhh. I actually managed to get the whole project finished then too so here's a couple of final renders!



I've also been set a super awesome new project that I'm absolutely ecstatic about and I just want to start it now! I've got to design two dichotomy characters that can be in any style and the best part is...I get to set my own tri count! I'm slightly scared by this as I've always had a strict limit to work to before and I'm worried I might fall into the trap of "oh I've gone over by 150...never mind I'll just change the budget...". I plan to have my sentry gun finished and have all of the final renders done by Saturday so I can get stuck into the character project as soon as I get up on Sunday. I'm literally having to force myself not to start pinning cool stuff already...

0 comments:

Post a Comment