Sunday 9 November 2014

Week 6: Painting Poker Chips
07:54

Week 6: Painting Poker Chips

Okay so this year is going past way too quickly for my liking. How is it week 6 already!?

Week 6 is what the university call an 'employability week'. Ha. For us game art people that's just more time to make the sentry gun. Awwww yiss. However, week 6 is also the launch of the Leicester Media School so on Wednesday we had a visit from the Vice Chancellor and various other cool and  important people that were around the building for most of the day looking at the work we've been doing. Pretty scary but it went well. I think. We also had a life drawing lesson on - instead of having the usual nude model, one of the third years was modelling some absolutely awesome costumes!

Due to not having any of the usual lessons on, this meant I had a lot of time to get the final model of my sentry gun finished. I've still got a few bits that I'm not 100% keen on so I'm going to try and play around with it a bit more to get it up to scratch.
The basic block out I did also worked pretty well in UE4, despite firing from the wrong end of the barrel... Oh, pivots. The worst thing is that everyone I've spoken to is encountering the same issue and we don't really know how to fix it. Wahhh.

WHAT IS GOING ON :(
At least now I know it *kind of* works in engine so I can finally get on with unwrapping and texturing! I'm trying to leave myself as much time as possible to play around with emissive maps and animating them to try and reach the stretch goal I've set myself.

I also managed to get the card model finished this week too! I didn't really enjoy making these last year - possibly due to the ridiculously awful clay I was using - but I really enjoyed this one and I just want to make loads of them now.


If I've got enough time left towards the end of this project, I'd quite like to have a go modelling this with Sculpy rather than having a mass of Sellotape. Another stretch goal maybe?

I mentioned earlier about the issues I was having with the barrel. FIXED IT. Aww yiss. I realised that I hadn't moved/placed a socket - oops.

I got all of the unwrapping done on Thursday and finally finished packing it on Friday evening so I've spent the whole weekend painting poker chips. I may have also accidentally read the brief wrong and put the projectile on the same sheet, so I had to pack everything all over again...oh well, practice makes things look better! I hope.





0 comments:

Post a Comment