Thursday 3 October 2013

A New Beginning
17:25

A New Beginning

I feel somewhat overwhelmed about writing this first blog post...I guess I should start by introducing myself. My name is Lucy and I'm currently studying Game Art Design at De Montfort University in Leicester!


I come from a fine art/sculptural background so the thought of creating objects etc in 3DS Max terrifies and excites me at the same time. I've not had much experience with 3D modelling software, so I was a little taken aback at first when I was told I had to produce a Dalek out of 1500 tris. This seemed like a lot to me at first, but I somehow managed to make an extremely high poly base which exceeded the tri count by about 20,000. I DID manage to get it down to 1497. So that's an achievement in itself!



The past few days at university have been amazing and if they're anything to go by, the next three years will be too! So far I've only had 3 lectures but I've really enjoyed them and I feel as though I'm learning new skills already; especially in visual design and game production. I can imagine critical studies will be one of the lectures I look forward to the most. I've always been interested in learning about history and how inventions have evolved over the years.



I assume that the vast majority of this blog is going to be me stressing about why 3DS Max won't let me move my object around, only to find I haven't got the move tool selected...Or that my pivot point has disappeared into an abyss of polygons.

0 comments:

Post a Comment